Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterisation help/advice needed

Hi,

This is our first season as boaters and I'm looking for some advice on what's required to get the boat ready for winter?

I've been advised to get some bar heaters. One for the engine and one for the cabin. The boat is 25ft and a 25 year old Hardy Seawings with an inboard petrol engine. It looks like bar heaters come in various sizes and power. From 55W, 120W or 190W. I assume 2x120W would be sufficient to hear the engine compartment and then the other in the cabin?

I assume if I get ones with thermostats then I don't need to get electric timers for the plugs and they'll just turn on as and when the temperature drops below the thermostat setting?

Should I also get a winterisation service and get antifreeze for the engine and water system and pumps? We only have a chemical toilet so I assume nothing needed there and just need to leave it empty over the winter?

Is it also advisable to go down to the boat every month or so and give the engine a run for 5/10 mins rather than leave it for 4/5 months?

Any advice and hints/tips gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Nik

Hi Nik,
    The tube heaters will be fine for the purpose. Make sure you buy the ones with thermostat as they will react towards drops in temperature. Ensure you cover any hatch , vent in the engine bay to keep the heat inside. If you are winterising the engine you won’t be able to run it. It is ok as long as you do some basics.
    1-Change the engine oil as the used oil will turn acidic and create issues later on.
    2-Use fogging oil on the carburettor and follow the instructions on the can.
    3-Remove the spark plugs and drop a little bit of clean oil down the cylinders. This will prevent any sort of ring rusting.
    4-Remove any flush plug to drain the water inside the engine. If possible also remove the water impeller and drain the water from the housing.

I never put antifreeze inside my engine as doing the above will work well.
    Empty your domestic water tank to prevent any line splitting in the event of freezing.

if you can take your soft furniture home not only to look after them put also to de-clutter the boat and allow it to dry. Open all covers and inside hatches to make sure fresh air reaches any cavity inside the hull.

Instead of a tube heater for the cabin see if you could get a dehumidifier and place it in the sink area so that if it overflows the water can go down the drain. If not a tube heater will work but they do two different things.
    Feel free to ask any questions and I will see if I can answer them. If not someone else will do.
    Have fun.
    Last edited by Anibal SD; 11-01-2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• NikChalk
      NikChalk commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Many thanks for your response and advice and comments, truly appreciated and very helpful.

Thanks again,

Nik

Very good advice already given.

When it comes to fresh water systems freezing, remember the temperatures given in weather forecasts are air temperatures outside, not the temp inside your boat. If the boat is in the water it will be warmer inside, than if it was on the hard. Put a min/max thermometer in the engine compartment to see what’s happening.

There are other low power alternatives to tube heaters, such as 500W panel and oil filled rads. The oil filled ones have a very small footprint and I find then much easier to fit into small places. Provided they are fitted with a thermostat, running costs are low.

Comment

Working...
    X