Southampton Boat Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southampton Boat Show

Is anyone going, or have they been put off by the testing regime and prices?

Iโ€™m not going due to testing, ticket price, smaller show, no MDL hospitality,
    But I will be going to the Har Bar for a couple of free drinks ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Sadly I think this year will mark the beginning of the end for the boat show as we know it.
    Last edited by MikeB; 09-07-2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Are they shoving cotton buds up your nose on the day?

Comment

I'm going. Wasn't too sure earlier but the testing requirement swung it for me. I'm still nervous of crowds and haven't been back to a footie match or music gig yet..
        Thank you MDL for the Hospitality at Har Bar,but who did the IT for the voucher? Had to print out two pages to get it all on, bit of a waste of paper really when it could have been done as an attachment..

Comment

Agree about the voucher, very amateurishly done and it came out with my email address on it a bit of information which I'm not anxious to hand over to the HarBar. I was reading ion Facebook that the HarBar staff haver been refusing some people entry, has this happened to anyone here?

Comment

Going Friday, did someone mention free drinks ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcake View Post
              Going Friday, did someone mention free drinks ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰
              Depends on your POV. We used to characterise the coffees (I was always driving) we had at the MDL stand at the boat show as the world's most expensive at about ยฃ3,000 a cup, but you did get a year's berthing with it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Comment

Ahh the old bait n switch model ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Comment

We are going for the first time being quite new to Boating. Have done our Covid tests all negative and looking forward to it as Boat Show Virgins!!

Comment

Weโ€™ve now been to the show. The new footprint isnโ€™t too bad, the entrance being quite convenient for the Westquay car park, which at ยฃ5 was a reasonable cost, though the long single path down to the main show can be quite congested as it gets busier.

There were definitely fewer exhibitors than previous years, notably no chandleries and it seemed fewer retailers generally. There were an appreciable number of gaps on the pontoons as well, no sign of Sirius, Nordhaven or Elling amongst others. Whereas in recent years weโ€™ve spend a day and a half there this time we were in at about 10:20 and out by 15:30.

Having heard of some of the hassles and then had the email from MDL advising booking we didnโ€™t bother with going down to the HarBar. We did look at booking but couldnโ€™t predict when we would be finished at the show. That we have never experienced anything better than abysmal service at HarBar in the past didn't help either. We definitely missed the opportunity to stop off for a coffee on site and chat to the team. We gazed rather jealously at the Boatfolk and Premier facilities.
                    Last edited by WKoW; 09-14-2021, 06:00 PM.

Comment

X-Yachts 4.9 and Swan 48 the highlights

Comment

Originally posted by WKoW View Post
                        Agree about the voucher, very amateurishly done and it came out with my email address on it a bit of information which I'm not anxious to hand over to the HarBar. I was reading ion Facebook that the HarBar staff haver been refusing some people entry, has this happened to anyone here?
                        The voucher itself would have only had your unique voucher code on it, not your email address or personal details. Originally it wasn't going to be printed - the intention was to just be able to show it on your phone, tablet, etc to a member of HarBAR staff. However, it was decided that it would be best to ask those using the voucher to print it as it would be easier to keep track of how many and when they were being used over the 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by ForumAdmin View Post

The voucher itself would have only had your unique voucher code on it, not your email address or personal details. Originally it wasn't going to be printed - the intention was to just be able to show it on your phone, tablet, etc to a member of HarBAR staff. However, it was decided that it would be best to ask those using the voucher to print it as it would be easier to keep track of how many and when they were being used over the 10 days.
                          Wrong, as it was embedded in the email rather than sent as an attachment printing it out included the email header with the email address on it.

Did you even try sending one to a test address to check?

Comment

When you print the email it would of course have all your personal details. However, the vast majority of people that used the voucher cut it out from the email, as is the very nature of a voucher. So only the unique number would be shown and nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                            X